Everyone loves a beautiful, warm, sunny day for their wedding day, I know I do! The longer days and beautiful sunsets make for gorgeous photos and memories that will last a lifetime. But, sometimes the heat can get a little too much and things can get a little sticky. We’ve recently shot several weddings in the blistering heat and thought we’d share our tips for beating the heat.
1. Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate! This is by far the most important thing to remember on your warm wedding day. Always have lots of water around and save the cocktails for the reception as alcohol can dehydrate you quickly. Get your groomsmen to carry around an eski so that you have drinks and snacks available throughout the day.
2. The location of your wedding will have a big impact on your day. If you choose a venue without air conditioning (eg. beach or old church) be sure to ask the venue what they have in order to keep you cool. If you’re outside, ask the venue if they have something to block the sun. If you are in an old church or another building without air conditioning, ask if they have sufficient electric fans to cool you and your guests. If they don’t….
3. Fans and Parasols can be a great way to get some relief from the heat. There are lots of varieties and can create fun and special photo opportunities. Don’t forget about your guests, it can be a nice thought to gift them fans as well!
4. If you know your wedding day is going to be hot, be sure to time your wedding later in the day to avoid the hottest parts of the day. We’d suggest keeping your wedding as late as possible to take advantage of the best time of day for outdoor portraits.
5. If the hot sun isn’t avoidable, pick a location for photos that has some shade to give you a break from the heat.
6. Be sure to wear weather appropriate clothing. You might choose to have a jacket-less wedding to help the men out. We’d also suggest bringing a fresh shirt (for the groom) to change into.
7. Be sure to consult with your make up artist about sweat resistant make up. Have your bridesmaids carry along a touch up kit to keep you going throughout the day.
8. Be sure to keep deodorant, baby powder, body spray and perfume/cologne on hand. Baby powder and deodorant are great for keeping you dry, while a quick spray will help you stay smelling fresh.